The Democrats’ healthcare bill vastly expands the responsibilities of the Internal Revenue Service and would give the IRS an unfair amount of clout in dealing with taxpayers, according to a report that Republican members of the House Ways and Means Committee released today.
“If the Democrats’ healthcare bill becomes law, the IRS could have to hire more than 16,000 additional agents, auditors and other workers just to enforce all the new taxes and penalties,” said Michigan Republican Dave Camp, ranking member of the committee. “It is a dangerous expansion of the IRS’s power and reach into the lives of virtually every American.”
Highlights of report, entitled “The Wrong Prescription: Democrats’ Health Overhaul Dangerously Expands IRS Authority,”
include these points:
- IRS agents will verify whether you have “acceptable” health coverage
- IRS has the authority to fine you up to $2,250 or 2 percent of your income (whichever is greater) for failure to prove you have purchased “minimum essential coverage”
- IRS can confiscate your tax refund
- IRS audits are likely to increase
- IRS will need up to $10 billion to administer the new healthcare program this decade
- IRS may need to hire as many as 16,500 additional auditors, agents and other employees to investigate and collect billions in new taxes from Americans
- Nearly half of all these new individual mandate taxes will be paid by citizens earning less than 300 percent of poverty ($66,150 for a family of four)
The Republicans noted that, despite all these new mandates the Democrats would prohibit the IRS from imposing these same taxes and penalties on illegal immigrants.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.