At least one House GOP leader is ready to work on restoring at least some of the $600 billion in automatic defense spending cuts triggered by the failure of the supercommittee on budget deficit reduction last year. The cuts are scheduled to begin next year.
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and defense hawks in both parties have started talking about how to replace the Pentagon cuts with spending decreases in other areas, The Hill reports
Cantor wants to find at least enough offsetting cuts to restore the $60 billion in defense spending reductions scheduled for next year, he told reporters. But Cantor acknowledged that coming up with offsetting spending cuts for the entire $600 billion, spread out over 10 years, will be tough.
“So if 10 years is a problem, then let’s go back and maybe we can find one year’s worth of pay-for that can at least stave off the sequester from being implemented Jan. 1, 2013, so that maybe we can have this election take place and be able to avoid it,” he said. “I just think the defense of this country is a priority. It is the priority.”
Another $600 million is slated to be trimmed automatically from domestic spending, including money for Medicare providers.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.