Flesh-Eating Bacteria Kills Maine Student

Monday, 23 Jun 2014 05:10 PM

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
A Maine high school student who died in February after undergoing a routine dental procedure was killed by a rare flesh-eating bacteria, Fox News reports.

According to the medical examiner's office, 18-year-old Benjamin LaMontagne, who attended Cheverus High School in Bangor, contracted necrotizing fasciitis following a procedure to remove his wisdom teeth.
 
Following the operation, he had a lot of swelling, then three days later became weak and dizzy. His mother, Lynn, called 911 after her son had stopped breathing. Shortly after rescue workers arrived at the family’s home in Long Island, Maine, they pronounced him dead.

The condition is a rare but extremely aggressive disease that destroys the connective tissue right underneath the skin that surrounds muscles, blood vessels, and nerves. It can be caused by several types of bacteria, notably group A Streptococcus, when they enter the body through a break in the skin.  While these bacteria are normally treated easily, they can sometimes produce toxins that destroy fascia tissue.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that healthy people who practice good hygiene are at a very low risk of contracting the disease and that such an infection occurring after a dental procedure is considered extremely rare.

"I have not heard of anything like that, with necrotizing fasciitis as a result of routine oral surgery extractions," John Molinari, M.D., infection control expert for the American Dental Association, told Bangor Daily News.

-

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

CDC Report Reveals How Measles Spreads at Airports

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 10:23 AM

Traveling through the same U.S. airport gate, one infected passenger transmitted the measles virus to three others withi . . .

Food Pesticide Residue Nothing to Worry About: USDA

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 10:26 AM

More than half of food tested by the U.S. government for pesticide residues last year showed detectable levels of pestic . . .

Beware of Holiday Allergy Triggers

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 10:16 AM

The holidays can be anything but joyous for people with allergies when they contend with fresh trees, scented candles an . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved