White House Condemns Violence Against Egypt Protesters

Wednesday, 14 Aug 2013 12:46 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The White House condemned a violent crackdown on protesters in Egypt on Wednesday and strongly opposed the declaration of a state of emergency made by Egypt's military leaders.

But White House spokesman Josh Earnest gave no indication that the United States is prepared to immediately cut off its $1.3 billion in military assistance to Egypt. He did say, however, that U.S. aid to Egypt is under review, as it has been for weeks.

"The world is watching what is happening in Cairo. We urge the government of Egypt - and all parties in Egypt - to refrain from violence and resolve their differences peacefully," he said.

Washington has found it has little leverage to influence events in Egypt. The United States initially said it would review whether the Egyptian military's July 3 ouster of elected President Mohamed Mursi was a coup, which would force Washington to cut off its assistance.

Officials ultimately decided not to make a decision about a coup one way or the other, a point that Earnest reiterated.

"It has been determined by senior foreign policy officials in this administration to not make a determination, but rather to engage in a dialogue with the interim government of Egypt," he said.

Obama was briefed about the killing of at least 95 Egyptians and was being kept up to date on the situation by his national security adviser, Susan Rice. With death tolls ranging from 95 to 800, Earnest said U.S. officials were seeking clarification.

"We have repeatedly called on the Egyptian military and security forces to show restraint, and for the government to respect the universal rights of its citizens, just as we have urged protesters to demonstrate peacefully," he said.

He spoke on the Massachusetts island of Martha's Vineyard, where President Barack Obama is spending an eight-day vacation.

In Amman, the top U.S. military officer, General Martin Dempsey, told reporters during a trip to Jordan that he expected to speak with his Egyptian military counterpart following Wednesday's bloodshed.

Dempsey said he would renew U.S. calls for Egypt to work toward a democratic transition and keep "violence levels as low as possible."

Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he wasn't himself prepared to condemn the violence because from the reporting he had seen so far, it was unclear on what exactly had transpired.

"In the early moments after this kind of crisis, the reports are always unclear," Dempsey said.

© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

US Cautiously Optimistic after No New Ebola in 5 Days

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 21:00 PM

With no new Ebola cases in five days, US authorities were cautious but hopeful Monday that the virus has been contained  . . .

CDC Releases Revised Ebola Gear Guidelines

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 19:11 PM

Health officials have released new guidelines for how health workers should gear up to treat Ebola patients. The Centers . . .

Bill Clinton: Enough of the Ebola 'Blame Game'

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 14:13 PM

President Bill Clinton has called for lawmakers and other political finger-pointers to tone down their rhetoric over the . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved