White House Downplays Kerry's Comments on Bombing Suspect

Wednesday, 24 Apr 2013 04:41 PM

By Todd Beamon

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The Obama White House moved quickly on Wednesday to play down Secretary of State John Kerry’s contention that Tamerlan Tsarnaev — the older of the two brothers believed to be behind the last week’s Boston Marathon terror bombings — had drawn inspiration for the attacks during a trip he took to Chechnya.

“In a situation like this, we ought to let the investigators do their work and not jump to conclusions, as the president said on Friday,” the White House spokesman Jay Carney said, according to The Washington Times.

Carney had been asked whether Kerry was adhering to White House advisories to exercise caution in assessing the bombers’ motivations until intelligence officials concluded their investigation.

He said Kerry’s remarks did not reflect any new information obtained by investigators.

Tsarnaev, 26, was killed by police in a frantic overnight gun battle early on Friday. He had spent six months in Chechnya last year, leaving the United States months after he had been questioned by the FBI about possible links to terrorists groups.

His younger brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was arrested by authorities on Friday night in suburban Watertown, Mass. He remained in fair condition and under heavy guard at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston on Wednesday.

Dzhokhar has admitted to interrogators that he and his brother acted alone in the bombings and that his older brother held extremist Islamic beliefs.

In Brussels earlier on Wednesday, Kerry told reporters, “We just had a young person who went to Russia, Chechnya, who blew people up in Boston.”

“He didn’t say where he went, but he learned something where he went, and he came back with a willingness to kill people,” Kerry said.

A State Department spokesman also tried to clarify the remarks, saying that Kerry “was simply expressing broad concern about radicalism and not necessarily offering any more specific information about this case.

“The context of how that came up was really radicalism broadly, I understand, is how the question came up,” said Patrick Ventrell, the department’s acting deputy spokesperson, told the Times. “This isn’t about any new information or conclusion about law enforcement details of this case.”


© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

NYPD: Cop Ambush Killer Told Passers-by to Watch

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 16:38 PM

The gunman who ambushed two New York City police officers in their car told two passers-by to watch what I'm going to  . . .

Video Shows Police Efforts to Save Slain Brothers

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 21:54 PM

The New York Post has posted dramatic video of the efforts to save the two NYPD officers gunned down Saturday. . . .

Protesters Vow to Continue After Officers' Deaths

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 21:48 PM

Protesters who have been marching in the streets of New York all month said they will continue despite the shooting deat . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved