Fox News said Wednesday it was parting ways with Bill O'Reilly, one of TV's most popular and influential commentators, amid a firestorm of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior claims leveled against him in recent years.
"After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Bill O'Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel," 21st Century Fox, Fox News's parent company, said in a statement.
The decision to cut ties with O'Reilly was made in the last two days, the AP reported, as the controversy mounted following a report in the New York Times in early April that five women had received payments in exchange for agreeing not to pursue litigation or speak about the accusations.
Advertisers pulled commercials from his show and another woman came forward with allegations against Fox's former CEO and founder Roger Ailes. Ailes was ousted last year following an internal investigation into sexual harassment claims by former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson, bringing the issue of intolerable workplace conditions at the company into the spotlight.
© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.