Federal and state law-enforcement agencies are working with state and local investigators as they pick through rubble and follow up leads, trying to determine the source of two deadly explosions that rocked the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.
At least two people were killed; at least 100 were injured.
Boston Police Commission Edward Davis said it was unclear if the simultaneous blasts on Boylston Street were related, but that police were proceeding as if they were. A third incident at the JFK Library — it was unclear if it was another explosion or a fire — may be related, but it was an “ongoing event,” Davis said.
“We’re not certain these incidents are related, but we are treating them as if they are,” Davis said. “We are recommending people stay at home, and if they’re visitors, that they stay in their hotel room. People should not go anyplace and congregate in large crowds.”
The explosions at the finish line were 50 to 100 yards apart, David told a news conference. Immediately, he said, he called the FBI and Massachusetts State Police, activating a response system set up for such incidents. Both agencies immediately sent personnel and other resources, he said. In addition, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms; and the Massachusetts National Guard were involved in the investigation, Gov. Deval Patrick said.
Davis said Boston police officers had been sent to hospitals to be in touch with victims, family members and witnesses.
Multiple bomb squads were combing through bags, backpacks and other packages people were carrying in the area and that were found at the scene. All are being treated as “suspicious packages,” Davis said.
Patrick said he had received a phone call from President Barack Obama.
“People should be calm,” Davis said, “but they should understand this is an ongoing event and they should understand we need all the information we can get.”
Authorities have a phone line to receive tips regarding the explosions: 800-494-TIPS.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.