Federal investigators on Thursday cleared two men whose images were in photographs circulated to police as suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings.
Neither had a role in the attack on Monday that killed three people and injured more than 170, The New York Post reports.
And one of the men, a 17 year old, told ABC News that he was shocked to see his face turn up on social media as a possible suspect.
The photographs were distributed by FBI officials late on Wednesday — and they showed the men standing with a backpack and duffel bag near the finish line, where the bombs exploded within 100 feet of each other.
The Post also published a picture on Thursday with the men’s faces circled in red, but said it was not sure whether they were the same as the two potential suspected spotted by authorities on Wednesday.
It later reported that the men had been cleared by authorities.
Meanwhile, one of the men circled in the pictures, Salah Barhoun, 17, told ABC on Thursday that he went to Boston police on Wednesday to clear his name after he found himself tagged in pictures online.
Barhoun told ABC that he had gone to watch the Marathon, but was singled out as a suspect online after the explosions. He said he had wanted to run the Marathon and when he couldn't, decided to watch.
Federal authorities passed around images of Barhoun, seeking to learn more about him, ABC reports.
Barhoun's younger brother, who declined to identify himself to ABC, said that it made his mother “sick and upset” that her son had been connected to the blasts.
“It made her think he had done something wrong,” the younger brother told ABC. “My brother is not the bomber.”
Editor's Note: LIGNET: Was al-Qaeda Behind the Attacks?
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.