Gov't Sources: Boston Bomb Suspect Went to Russia

Friday, 19 Apr 2013 01:25 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

Government officials say Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev traveled to Russia last year and returned to the U.S. six months later.

The 26-year-old Tsarnaev died in a police shootout overnight.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they couldn't publicly talk about an investigation in progress. One says that Tsarnaev traveled out of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

Investigators believe that Tsarneaev and his brother Dzhokhar are responsible for the deadly Boston Marathon terrorist attack. Dzhokhar is still being sought. The ethnic Chechen brothers are from Dagestan, which neighbors Chechnya in southern Russia. They lived near Boston and had been in the U.S. for about a decade, an uncle said.

One official said there are no known ties at this point to Chechen extremist groups.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Ebola Victim's Fianc e Says Family Shows 'No Sign' of Disease

Sunday, 19 Oct 2014 17:22 PM

Louise Troh and the three other people in her household have spent much of their time in isolation on laptops and mobile . . .

Dallas Hospital Apologizes for Ebola Errors in Newspaper Ad

Sunday, 19 Oct 2014 17:06 PM

The Dallas hospital that treated the first Ebola patient diagnosed inside the United States has apologized in a full-pag . . .

Spanish Nurse Cleared of Ebola: Hospital Source

Sunday, 19 Oct 2014 15:11 PM

Test results show that a Spanish nurse, who was the first person to have contracted Ebola outside Africa, has beaten the . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved