Tags: youth | olympics

Youth Olympics Open in China Amid Ebola Worries

Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 09:48 AM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

NANJING, China  — Fears of the Ebola virus cast a cloud over Saturday's opening of the second Youth Olympics in the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing, after three athletes were barred from competition because of the risk of infection.

The entire delegations from three nations affected by the virus — Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone — will also not be competing.

The games, featuring more than 3,000 athletes aged 15 to 18, started with an evening ceremony attended by Chinese President Xi Jinping, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other world leaders. The 12-day games feature 28 sports.

Athletes from regions affected by the Ebola outbreak are being prohibited from competing in combat sports due to "health authority guidelines" and aquatic events "based on the inability to completely exclude the risk of potential infection," according to a statement issued Thursday by the International Olympic Committee.

Under that ruling, 16-year-old female judo athlete Mamadama Bangoura and 16-year-old male swimmer Alhoussene Sylla, both from Guinea, will miss the games, along with 16-year-old female Nigerian wrestler Bose Samuel.

The three will be invited back to Nanjing later to take part in another sporting competition, the IOC statement said.

Organizers had been prepared to conduct regular health checks on athletes from the four countries affected — Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone — to prevent the potential spread of the virus that has killed more than 1,000 people.

Organizers maintained that the delegations from the four nations were still welcome at the games.

Guinea will be represented by its two remaining athletes, but teams from Sierra Leone and Liberia decided not to travel to China. The Nigerian delegation withdrew after its leaders complained that its athletes were being "isolated" and "quarantined" and not allowed to train alongside other competitors.

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa has also forced qualifiers for football's African Cup of Nations to be moved out of Guinea and Sierra Leone.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Coelho Says Sony Hack Threatens All

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 08:38 AM

Brazilian author Paulo Coelho says the Sony hack threatens us all if society doesn't enforce important values: our indiv . . .

Israel Aircraft Hit Gaza for First Time Since August Truce

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 08:37 AM

Israeli aircraft hit Gaza for the first time since an August truce ended 50 days of war after a rocket hit the Jewish st . . .

Seoul, Toyko Pledge to Work With US to Combat Cyber Crime

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 08:37 AM

South Korea and Japan on Saturday vowed to work closely with the US to combat cyber crime, after Seoul blamed North Kore . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved