Tags: North Korea | us | skorea | drill | nkorea | war

US-SKorea Hold Drills That North Calls Rehearsal for War

Friday, 11 Oct 2013 03:19 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

HONG KONG — U.S., South Korean and Japanese forces held their second day of naval exercises Thursday that have prompted threats of retaliation from North Korea, which denounced the drills as preparation for nuclear war.

U.S. sailors from the USS George Washington Strike Group are leading the exercises to practice search and rescue operations and natural-disaster response.

The two-day exercises, which were due to start on Oct. 8 and were delayed because of a typhoon, finished Thursday, Defense Ministry spokesman Wi Yong Seob said at a briefing in Seoul.

“The U.S. should know that our army is ready to confidently confront whatever turbulences and perilous provocations with powerful military forces,” the official Korean Central News Agency reported on Oct. 8, citing an unidentified Army official. In another statement on Oct. 9, KCNA called the drills “nuclear war exercises.”

North and South Korea remain divided along one of the world’s most fortified borders 60 years after the Korean War ended in a stalemate.

Tensions on the peninsula have heightened since February, when North Korea tested its third nuclear device and then threatened first strikes against the United States and South Korea over U.N. sanctions imposed after the Feb. 12 blast.

PARK'S FIRMNESS

Secretary of State John Kerry discussed North Korea with South Korean President Park Geun Hye Wednesday at the meeting of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Brunei. Kerry praised Park for being “firm” with the North and said that he hopes China, the North’s biggest ally, will continue to work for denuclearization.

“China always insists on realizing denuclearization and maintaining peace and stability in the Korean Peninsula, and solving the issue through dialogue and negotiations,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a briefing in Beijing. "We urge all parties to do things that will help ease tensions and not the opposite.”

The exercises after a South Korean lawmaker this week confirmed that the North has restarted its Yongbyon nuclear facility, much of which had been mothballed under an agreement in 2007 as a result of talks that aimed to end its nuclear program in return for aid.

In 2009, North Korea formally pulled out of the talks, which included the South, the United States, Russia, Japan, and China, and months later held its second nuclear test.

PLUTONIUM PRODUCTION

Yongbyon, the country’s main nuclear facility, is capable of producing enough plutonium to make one bomb a year, according to the U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies, which reported on Sept. 12 that the plant had restarted, based on satellite imagery.

North Korea followed its threats of first strikes in March with an announcement on April 2 that it would restart all facilities at Yongbyon to produce energy and bolster its “nuclear armed force both in quality and quantity.”

The naval exercises are being held a little more than a week after the U.S. and South Korea signed a new joint-defense strategy that would allow for first strikes against North Korea to counter any possible threat of nuclear attack.

The agreement affirmed a U.S. commitment to use “the full range of military capabilities” to deter North Korea, the two governments said in a communique after the Oct. 2 signing.

LEADERSHIP CHANGES

The exercises also coincide with signs that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has replaced his army chief of staff for the third time since taking over the country and its 1.2-million strong military less than two years ago.

KCNA referred to Ri Yong Gil Wednesday as Chief of General Staff of the Korean People’s Army in a report about a public appearance by Kim, indicating Kim Kyok Sik no longer holds the post.

Ri, who reports say is in his 60s, is believed to have been named to the post in August, when Kim’s name and image stopped appearing in the North Korean press. Kim, who has been described as a hardliner, led the military unit that South Korea suspects of carrying out two attacks in 2010.

South Korea said the North sunk one of its patrol ships in March 2010, killing 46 sailors. In November of that year, North Korea lobbed artillery shells at Yeonpyeong Island near the border, killing two marines and prompting South Korea to return fire and mobilize fighter jets.

© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Sweden Continues Hunt for Possible Russian Sub Off Coast

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 08:04 AM

The Netherlands on Monday denied a Russian claim that a mystery submarine that the Swedish military has been looking for . . .

New Tests Likely for Ebola Vaccine First Tried in '99

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 08:03 AM

A vaccine that appears to stop Ebola in monkeys was successfully tested in 1999, but only now are efforts under way to a . . .

Obama to Bypass Congress on Easing of Iran Sanctions

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 07:37 AM

President Obama is doing everything in his power to bypass Congress and suspend most of the sanctions placed on Iran ove . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved