Syrian Forces Bomb Area of Alleged Chemical Attack

Thursday, 22 Aug 2013 03:38 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

BEIRUT — Syrian activists say President Bashar al-Assad's forces are pressing on with a military offensive in the rebel-held eastern Damascus suburbs where the opposition says a chemical weapons attack killed over 100 people.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says it had no word on casualties in Thursday's bombing of eastern Ghouta.

The government has denied as "absolutely baseless" allegations it used chemical weapons in artillery barrages there on Wednesday.

The U.S., Britain and France have demanded that a team of U.N. experts already in the country be granted immediate access to investigate the site.

Opposition figures and activists have reported widely varying death tolls, from 136 to as high as 1,300. But even the most conservative tally would make it the deadliest alleged chemical attack in Syria's civil war.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

CEO of French Oil Giant Total Killed in Moscow Plane Crash

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 22:44 PM

The CEO of French oil company Total, Christophe de Margerie, died in a plane crash at a Moscow airport after his private . . .

Planet Marks Hottest September Since 1880

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 12:38 PM

Last month was the hottest September for globally averaged temperature over land and ocean surfaces since record-keeping . . .

Study: 2,000 Treated for Female Genital Mutilation in UK

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 14:35 PM

A shocking study in England has revealed that the British National Health Service has treated nearly 2,000 women in the  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved