NKorea Not Answering Hotline Day After Talks With South Founder

Image: NKorea Not Answering Hotline Day After Talks With South Founder South Korean workers roll up a red carpet to remove it from the Grand Hilton Hotel in Seoul on June 12 after talks between the two Koreas slated to take place at the venue were called off.

Wednesday, 12 Jun 2013 09:19 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

SEOUL, South Korea — A day after snubbing Seoul by offering to send a junior official to hold the first supposedly high-level talks between the two Koreas in six years, North Korea appeared to be refusing to pick up a phone line it re-established just last Friday.

The unpredictable North had called for talks between the two countries in order to try to reopen a money-spinning joint industrial park that it closed in April after threatening the South with nuclear annihilation.

The proposed two days of talks were due to start on Wednesday but foundered over disagreement over the seniority of delegates.

Two attempts by Seoul on Wednesday to raise North Korean officials using a Red Cross hotline that was shut by Pyongyang amid rising tension earlier this year failed, according to the Unification Ministry in the South Korean capital.

The ministry said it made calls at 9 a.m. on Wednesday to re-establish contact and at 4 p.m., but they went unanswered.

North Korea has not commented on the calls.

The talks had been billed as offering a breakthrough that could see the joint Kaesong industrial park on the border between the two countries re-open. The park generates $90 million a year in wages for North Korea whose economy is smaller than it was 20 years ago.

The North's failure to turn up for the talks in Seoul appeared to cast a pall over prospects for an improvement in ties between the two sides, still technically at war after their 1950-53 civil conflict ended with a mere truce.

After the talks were called off, South Korea's presidential office accused the North of trying to humiliate it with its plans to send a junior official.

North Korea's main diplomatic ally, China, had urged the reclusive state to return to the negotiating table after the country staged its third nuclear weapons test in February.

Beijing backed U.N. sanctions imposed after that test.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

INTEL: ISIS Training Western Terrorists to Attack Europe, US

Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 22:54 PM

A growing army of Islamist fighters, thousands of whom carry European passports, is busy learning the terror trade in ar . . .

'Islamic State' Says It Has Beheaded American Journalist

Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 17:59 PM

The brutal jihadist group Islamic State on Tuesday claimed to have executed American journalist James Foley in revenge f . . .

Rick Santorum: Israel Knows US Is Not a Friend

Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 10:47 AM

Israel knows that the Obama administration is not its friend, evidenced by pressure the White House is putting on it to  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved