Man Accused of Killing British Soldier Appears in London Court

Image: Man Accused of Killing British Soldier Appears in London Court A police van believed to be carrying 22-year-old Michael Adebowale, suspect of the murder of British soldier Lee Rigby, leaves Westminster Magistrates Court in central London on May 30.

Thursday, 30 May 2013 06:28 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

LONDON — Michael Adebowale, 22, appeared in a London court on Thursday charged with the killing of a British soldier on a busy London street last week, which the prosecutor said would be tried as a terrorist act.

Adebowale was charged late on Wednesday with the murder of Lee Rigby, a 25-year-old serving soldier, in Woolwich in south-east London on May 22. He also faces a charge of possessing a firearm, a 9.4mm revolver, with intent to cause others to believe that violence would be used.

Prosecutor Bethan David told the court the alleged offense fell under the scope of terrorism legislation.

Looking dazed and limping slightly, Adebowale appeared in handcuffs in the glass-fronted dock at Westminster Magistrates' Court wearing white trousers and a light gray sweatshirt.

He was flanked by two plainclothes policemen and there were two court security guards in the dock as well.

Asked to confirm his name and address in Greenwich in south-east London, he said only "yes." The two charges were then read out to him during the hearing, which lasted less than five minutes.

He did not enter a plea, as is normal at this stage under British law.

Adebowale was arrested at the scene along with another man, Michael Adebolajo, 28. Both men were shot by police and taken to hospital where they stayed under armed guard.

Adebowale was discharged from hospital on Tuesday and has been in police custody since. Adebolajo remains in hospital.

Judge Howard Riddle sent Adebowale's case to London's Central Criminal Court, known as the Old Bailey, for trial. Adebowale will appear there for a bail hearing on Monday. A further pre-trial hearing is scheduled for June 28.

Rigby, a veteran of the Afghan war, died at the scene of the attack, which took place in broad daylight. A post-mortem gave the cause of death as "multiple incised wounds."

Prime Minister David Cameron called the attack "a betrayal of Islam and of the Muslim communities who give so much to our country," and vowed that Britain would never give in to terrorism in any of its forms.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

US Fuming over Israeli Criticism of Kerry

Monday, 28 Jul 2014 12:14 PM

Obama administration officials were fuming Monday over Israeli criticism of Secretary of State John Kerry's latest bid t . . .

Report: US Has Lost Track of Weapons Given to Afghanistan

Monday, 28 Jul 2014 09:42 AM

The United States supplied almost three quarters of a million weapons to Afghanistan's army and police since 2004, but t . . .

France Offers Asylum to Mosul's Christians

Monday, 28 Jul 2014 09:41 AM

France said on Monday it was ready to welcome Christians from northern Iraq who have been told by the al-Qaida offshoot  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved