Hagel Orders Airlift for Troubled Central African Republic

Tuesday, 10 Dec 2013 04:20 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

DOHA, Qatar — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the U.S. military to transport troops from Burundi into the Central African Republic to help quell the latest upsurge in violence there.

Hagel approved the order after speaking with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian Monday night from Afghanistan where he was visiting troops. Le Drian asked the U.S. to help get African troops quickly into the country to prevent the violence there from spreading, said Pentagon spokesman Carl Woog.

There are more than 1,000 French troops in the Central African Republic, where more than 400 people were killed in two days of violence last week between Christians and Muslims. Christian armed fighters oppose the Muslim ex-rebels now in charge of the former French colony.

Woog said Hagel directed the U.S. Africa Command to begin transporting forces in coordination with France because the U.S. believes immediate action is needed to avert a humanitarian catastrophe. And he said the Pentagon will be evaluating what other U.S. resources might be available if additional requests for assistance come in.

Hagel's order came hours before President Barack Obama recorded an audio message urging calm in the Central African Republic.

Obama taped the message Monday in Dakar, Senegal, as Air Force One was refueling on its way to South Africa for a memorial service honoring former President Nelson Mandela, who died last week.

Addressing his remarks to "the proud citizens of the Central African Republic," Obama said citizens have the power "to choose a different path" than violence.

Those who commit crimes should be arrested, Obama said, adding that the United States will support the efforts of African countries and the French to restore security and protect civilians.

The transport flights are expected to begin in a day or two, according to a senior defense official who was not authorized to speak by name about the planning and thus requested anonymity.

The official said there would be no other U.S. troops on the ground except any air crew needed for the flights into the Central African Republic.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Video Purports to Show Beheading of US Journalist

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 13:18 PM

An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State (ISIS). Sotloff, . . .

Obama Warns Stopping Ebola 'Will Not Be Easy'

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 15:27 PM

President Barack Obama told West Africans on Tuesday that Ebola could be beaten but cautioned that it would not be easy  . . .

ISIS Condemned For 'Ethnic-Cleansing' in Iraq

Tuesday, 02 Sep 2014 12:52 PM

Amnesty International has accused Islamic State jihadists of systematic ethnic cleansing and mass killings of minoriti . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved