In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing, the investigation into its perpetrators has been marred by a series of bizarre and even alarming actions by President Barack Obama and his administration.
Unfortunately, these increasingly suggest a pattern that is at odds with our national and homeland security. The question must be occurring to many Americans: Whose side is he on?
Consider just a few of the recent examples suggesting the ominous answer is “Not ours”:
- Team Obama decided precipitously to charge the alleged surviving bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in civilian court. This action resulted inevitably in his being read Miranda rights and obtaining a lawyer, prompting Tsarnaev to refuse further to answer investigators’ questions. Former federal prosecutor Andy McCarthy observed: “Obama was determined to end the public debate over whether the jihadist is a wartime enemy combatant or a mere criminal defendant.”
Mr. McCarthy theorizes that what is going on here is that: “[We] are being softened up. Steered by its Gitmo Bar veterans and Lawyer Left compass, the Obama administration is executing a massive national security fraud: the farce that the jihad against America can be judicialized, that civilian-court processes are a better answer to enemy warfare than are combat protocols.”
- Then there is the peculiar case of the Saudi “student,” Abdul Rahman al-Harbi. Glenn Beck and syndicated columnist Diana West have done yeoman’s work connecting the proverbial dots on this young man starting with his detention at the scene of the bombing (where he was wounded) and initial designation as a “person of interest” in the investigation. The FBI reportedly spent seven hours searching his apartment but, following an in-person and unscheduled intervention with Mr. Obama by the Saudi Foreign Minister, al-Harbi ceased to be classified as even a witness to the jihadist attack.
Still more bizarre is what happened next. The Saudi press reported that First Lady Michelle Obama paid a visit to al-Harbi in the Boston hospital where he was recuperating, even as federal agencies sought to deport him on the grounds that he was a national security threat. That would, needless to say, put him safely beyond the reach of U.S. law enforcement.
At this writing, Team Obama seems to be resisting congressional efforts to establish al-Harbi’s whereabouts and true status. Neither has there been any explanation to date for why a man who, according to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement records made public by Mr. Beck, is ineligible on terrorist-ties grounds to be in the United States was admitted to the White House on numerous occasions.
- Meanwhile, the evidence continues to accumulate that the FBI failed to appreciate the nature of the threat posed by Dzhokhar’s Islamist elder brother, Tamerlan, because it has had to operate for years under guidance that obscures the direct connection between the supremacist Islamic doctrine he practiced, known as Shariah, and the terrifying form of jihad it compels its adherents to wage.
The Center for Security Policy is helping Americans who believe we cannot afford such shackling of our first line of defense against domestic threats to express their concerns directly to President Obama with a web-based campaign at www.FreetheFBI.com
- A corollary to this insanity has been the administration’s effort to portray other communities as equivalent threats to that posed by Islamists. This notion is inherent in Team Obama’s adoption of the euphemism “violent extremism” and in an Army Reserve unit’s equal opportunity training materials that identified evangelical Christians, Catholics, and Islamophobes as on a par with al-Qaida and similar Shariah-adherent terrorist organizations in terms of readiness to engage in such extremism.
- One of the chief architects of the Obama administration’s efforts to pander to the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists and to use selective enforcement of the law to promote divisiveness among Americans is the president’s choice to become the next secretary of labor, Thomas Perez. Perez’s recent confirmation hearing barely scratched the surface of the unsuitability for such a post of a man whose views and conduct align him with such other radical post-American Friends of Obama as Van Jones, Bill Ayers, and Bernardine Dohrn. We know whose side they are on.
- No less worrying is the president’s commitment to so-called “comprehensive immigration reform” that clearly will perpetuate the unsecured borders that have contributed to the present crisis of millions of illegal aliens in our country. He seems indifferent to the fact that millions more are headed our way, confident that he will get them amnesty and a “path to citizenship,” too.
- Last but hardly least, we have the wrecking operation Obama is engaged in with respect to the U.S. military. While furloughs of air traffic controllers and meat inspectors are prompting measures to mitigate the damage, the hollowing out of our armed forces and the industrial base is going forward apace. Ditto the president’s efforts to denuclearize this country and to negotiate new restrictions on our ability to defend it against missile attack.
Unfortunately, we are likely to learn just how harmful sequestration and the other Obama-induced rounds of cuts have been on the only military we have only after the myriad international crises of the moment — including, notably, Syria, the Senkakus, the Iranian nuclear program, and Korean peninsula — rocket out of control in ways that threaten our vital interests.
At that point, the question of whose side the president is on will be self-evident. By then, we may even regard his malfeasance as constituting high crimes and misdemeanors.
Frank J. Gaffney, Jr. is president of the Center for Security Policy, a columnist for The Washington Times, and host of the nationally syndicated program Secure Freedom Radio. Read more reports from Frank Gaffney — Click Here Now.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.