There are many wonderful flowers in this world. Interestingly, some of them are rather weird and strange flowers. Mother Nature has rendered some of these wonderful flowers simply amazing by tweaking their characteristics and making them appear a little more peculiar than others. You can call them ugly, weird, dangerous, or even hate them, but the enthusiastic gardener in you won't let you ignore them. Some of you may love to decorate your home garden with these weird and strange flowers or plants. Some of them have made it on the list of the weirdest flowers on the planet. We bring you five of the world's weirdest flowers that are definitely interesting and guaranteed head turners:
· Rafflesia Arnoldii: Not only is this one of the weirdest plants in the world, but also one of the largest and most wonderful flowers. It grows solely in the Southeast Asian rain forests and produces just one flower. The single flower weighs a whopping 25 pounds and stands up to 3 feet tall. The plant gives out a very foul smell like that of a rotten fish, and is not very attractive to look at. Despite all this, the king of weird and strange flowers, Rafflesia Arnoldii, has become one of the most popular domestic flowers. This is also one of the most dangerous flowers of the world; it eats other plants and survives as a host.
· Welwitschia or Welwitschia Mirabilis: This plant looks like a huge green plant that died a horrible death. It consists of 2 sole leaves on a stem base. This weird plant-like flower can live from 400 to 1,500 years. It can grow up to 12 feet. Although the plant does not produce any flowers, it deserves a mention on the list of wonderful flowers and the world's weirdest plants and flowers because of its shape and size.
· Hydnora Triceps: The fruits and flowers of the plant grow underground; it has no leaves or anything that remotely resembles a leaf. The parasitic plant lives off other plants and pollinates by attracting insects underground, thanks to the foul odor emitted by the flowers.
· Dracunculus Vulgaris: Commonly known as Dragon Arum, Snake Lily, or Voodoo Lily, this plant is native to the Balkans. It is also found in Greece and other parts of the world. The flower attracts insects, and it sends out a very unpleasant odor. Insects also get attracted to it because of its inflorescence glow emitted at night.
· Corpse Flower: As if the name isn't weird and freaky enough, this 6-feet tall and 45-inch wide plant has the largest corn and the largest flower. Its odor can drive anyone away. The rotting meat odor the plant emits helps it attract insects for pollination. Pollination is not easy for this flower.
If this list has not satisfied your curiosity about the world's weirdest flowers and weirdest plants, you can always turn to the Internet and carry out a search. You will be surprised to know about these weird yet wonderful flowers. These weird flowers and plants are Mother Nature's way of showing us her great sense of humor.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.