What Is Whey Protein?

Tuesday, 30 Nov 2010 12:41 PM

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Whey protein is a high-quality protein powder mixture made from cow’s milk. Milk contains two proteins, one of them being casein, which accounts for approximately 80 percent of the milk. It is removed from the milk by precipitation, leaving behind whey. The milk protein contained in the fluid left after removal of casein accounts for the remaining 20 percent protein content of the milk and is known as whey protein.

Upon removal of lipids in the whey by drying procedures, whey protein powder is left as the whey protein isolate. Whey protein powder can also be obtained while milk is being processed to form cheese. The whey is separated in the process, from which whey protein powder can be isolated.
 
Whey protein powder is more soluble than casein, is rated higher than the insoluble casein, and is often considered among the purest protein forms. Gold Standard whey protein is a popular example of whey protein isolate preferred by people interested in health maintenance.
 
Whey protein powder is rich in cysteine and glutathione amino acids, of which glutathione is an antioxidant that defends the body against formation of free radicals. Whey protein powders and whey protein isolates claim to have a number of health benefits: they help achieve weight loss, are beneficial in cancer treatment, wound healing, and maintaining good health, particularly for the elderly and infants.
 
Whey protein shakes are available for body building, adding muscle mass, and as low-fat breakfast protein. They are also useful in maintaining healthy blood glucose levels.

© Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink

PLEASE NOTE: All information presented on Newsmax.com is for informational purposes only. It is not specific medical advice for any individual. All answers to reader questions are provided for informational purposes only. All information presented on our websites should not be construed as medical consultation or instruction. You should take no action solely on the basis of this publication’s contents. Readers are advised to consult a health professional about any issue regarding their health and well-being. While the information found on our websites is believed to be sensible and accurate based on the author’s best judgment, readers who fail to seek counsel from appropriate health professionals assume risk of any potential ill effects. The opinions expressed in Newsmaxhealth.com and Newsmax.com do not necessarily reflect those of Newsmax Media. Please note that this advice is generic and not specific to any individual. You should consult with your doctor before undertaking any medical or nutritional course of action.

Keeping you up to speed on Lifestyle, health, and money-saving tips
 
 
Get me on Fast Features
Keeping you up to speed on Lifestyle, health, and money-saving tips
 
Follow Newsmax
You May Also Like

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved