Whether you’re just a beginning golfer or you’re a talented, seasoned golf enthusiast, there’s always more to learn. Here are some tips to improve your game from professional Jimmy Walker.
URGENT: Who's The Greatest Golfer Of All Time? Vote Now
1. “Dis-arm” your swing — Walker tells Golf that on the tee, the goal should be to drive the ball as far as possible while keeping it in play. He recommends a body-dominated swing driven by core muscles rather than the arms to get consistent yardage on approach shots.
2. It’s in the hips — New York golf teacher Michael Jacobs tells the Golf Digest that most amateur golfers have a good amount of rotation in the hips during a swing, but that it can get sloppy. He says Walker’s winning technique is that he gets the right amount of hip rotation. He recommends turning the hip without changing the position of the upper thigh.
POLL: Tiger or Jack? Who Is The Greatest Of All Time? Vote Now
3. Drive your wedges — Wedges don’t necessarily need to produce high-flying shots. In fact, Walker tells Golf that while on tour, he aims for lower wedge shots that fly under the wind. To achieve it, narrow your stance and position the ball in the middle of your stance. Keep your weight on the left side and use a compact motion.
4. The right grip — Golf Info Guide analyzed the evolution of Jimmy Walker’s grip between 2011 and 2014 and noticed a subtle but important change. Instead of positioning both hands on the strong side, Walker has weakened his right hand grip into a neutral position while keeping his left hand grip strong. Golf theory suggests this should improve accuracy even if it means slightly less power.
5. The hold-off fade — When you need a reliable approach in a challenging green, Walker tells Golf that he favors hold-off shots. He says it’s a winner when the pin is cut far-right. He says it’s easy when you aim for the middle of the green and let it curve toward the target. He says it’s important to keep your right hand from rolling over the left since the release is crucial.
VOTE: Who Is The Greatest Golfer Of All Time?
© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.