Joint pain can be extremely bothersome. Joint aches and pains increase with age and sometimes worsen in the presence of co-morbidities. While there are several drugs that reduce pain, these are not advisable to be taken over a long period of time. Supplements in this case can fill in for drugs and help relieve joint pain and prevent it from reoccurring.
The ten best supplements that fight joint pain are:
1) Glucosamine: This is one of the best supplements for knee joints. This fatty acid is a part of cartilage and other components of the joints. Glucosamine helps rebuild the bones and prevent cartilage wear and tear. It also prevents inflammation of the joints and adjoining muscles.
2) Chondroitin Sulfate: This is used with glucosamine, helps build the cartilage, and prevents pain in thejoints. If chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine are taken in conjunction as supplements for joint pain, the pain may be abated and the joints may become stronger.
3) Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce the wear and tear of the joints. These fatty acids prevent the enzymes called collagenases from damaging the joints. Omega-3 is popularly used as a supplement for the knee joints and is known to reduce inflammation and strengthen the tendons.
4) SAMe: S-adenosyl-methionine is a co-enzyme for production of body tissue. This coenzyme helps repair the joints and reduces inflammation and pain. This is mostly used in the treatment of arthritis. It is also known to reduce muscle stiffness, muscle pain, and fatigue.
5) TMG: Tri-methyl-glycine is often used with SAMe. TMG aids SAMe in its functions. It is also known to strengthen the bones and aids the body tissue in absorbing nutrients.
6)MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane): MSM provides the raw material for the production of cartilage in the body. It is a structural protein, nontoxic, and found in most organic matter. It helps build collagen that is the binding tissue for bones. It is known to be effective in the treatment of arthritis and osteoarthritis.
7) Calcium: Calcium is an essential ingredient for the production of bones and teeth. Calcium is helpful in reducing joint pain and inflammation and is one of the best supplements for knee joints.
8) Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an anti-oxidizing agent that helps protect connective tissues like the ligaments, tendons, and skin, not to mention the bones and joints. Vitamin C helps make collagen which is important for the flexibility of muscles and blood vessels.
9) Silicon: Silicon is known to make strong bone tissue and is used in trace amounts. Silicon is a part of most body tissue and is especially important because it binds the bone tissue and provides strength.
10) Gelatin: This is the best supplement for knee joints, especially for athletes and sportspersons. It acts as a lubricant that prevents bone tissue wear and tear due to regular use.
Any of these supplements must be taken strictly under physician guidance. Improper usage or excessive dosage can be toxic and sometimes fatal.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.