To prevent the slow degradation of the eyes, it is essential to consume certain nutritional and dietary supplements for eye health. Ten of the best supplements for eye health are:
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is required in large doses to ensure proper functioning of the retina, especially at night. Deficiency of vitamin A may cause ocular disorders like Xeropthalmia or night blindness. Vitamin A also plays a vital role in preventing dryness in the eyes.
- Lutein: A highly essential supplements for eye health, lutein forms a protective shield and prevents formation of cataracts as well as macular degeneration in the eyes. This eye health supplement can be found in spinach, tomatoes, squash, and carrots.
- Beta Carotene: Found in foods such as sweet potato, kale, spinach, and carrots, beta carotene can be converted into vitamin A to prevent a host of diseases caused by its deficiency.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is used in the treatment and prevention of glaucoma as well as for the maintenance of collagen tissue in the eyes.
- Selenium: Selenium is an eye health supplement that is a good source of natural antioxidants and can be easily consumed as a supplement. It can be found in Brazil nuts.
- Chromium: A healthy level of chromium in the body helps maintain balanced intraocular pressure in the eyes. It can be easily obtained from onions and tomatoes.
- Zinc: Zinc is present in extremely high concentrations in the retina and is a good antioxidant. It helps to maintain proper eye functioning.
- Copper: The intake of a minimum 2 mg of copper in natural or artificial supplements can enhance the functioning of the antioxidant enzymes in the eye. Whole grain cereals, legumes, and oysters are rich in copper.
- Acai Berry: This natural supplement in the diet helps balance ocular pressure.
- Manganese: Wheat germ, nuts, and seeds are the richest source of manganese and can enhance the ocular functions of the eye.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.