Aphasia occurs when the hemisphere of the brain containing the speech center is damaged. Because the speech center is primarily responsible for interpreting and producing language, aphasic individuals struggle with both written and spoken communication.
Common causes of aphasia are stroke, head injury, dementia, and certain infections.
Though there is no specific method for preventing aphasia, some suggestions include:
• Regular exercise
• High intake of fresh fruits and vegetables
• Quitting smoking
• Moderate alcohol intake
• Limiting consumption of salt and fats
• Maintaining a healthy weight
• Treating chronic medical problems, such as type II diabetes
• Taking low-dose aspirin
• Treating the symptoms of a stroke
• Staying mentally active by reading or writing
While testing a patient for aphasia, speech therapists may also test for dysarthria and speech apraxia.
For more information on aphasia, see below:
Aphasia: Top 5 Symptoms
Aphasia: Top Natural Supplements for Treatment
Aphasia: Top 10 Treatment Centers
Aphasia: The Latest Medical Breakthroughs
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.