Owning pets can be a costly affair, especially in the event of illness or accident. According to a survey by the American Pet Products Association, pet owners in the U.S. spent more than $43.2 billion on their pets in 2008. The total expense was estimated to have increased by more than $2 billion in 2009 despite the ongoing economic recession.
In the wake of such high expenses associated with pets, pet insurance can be of great help – policies cover the cost of medical expenses when pets fall ill or have an accident. Here are the top ten sources to learn more about pet insurance:
- Your veterinarian could be the best person to help you find the best pet insurance sources. Being familiar with the medical conditions of your pet, the veterinarian can suggest what kind of insurance is best.
- Review web sites that provide reviews by users or veterinarians. Based on these reviews you can decide on the best sources of pet insurance. However, pet owners should also do their own research before deciding what to buy.
- North American Pet Health Insurance Association can also be consulted; this group has a listing of various pet insurance providers.
- The web sites of various pet insurance companies can also help you compare the factors of different insurance plans.
- PetInsuranceReview.Com is a widely consulted web site for comparing pet insurance companies and pet insurance plans. It has ranked pet insurance providers based on the average customer rating. According to this list, the ten best pet insurance companies are PetPlan US, Embrace, Trupanion, PurinaCare, Petfirst Healthcare, Pets Best, Pet Assure, Hartville/ASPCA, VPI, and Pet Partners.
- OrganicPetDigest.com has listed Pets Best and QuickCare as the best traditional plans and Embrace as the best pet insurance source for non-traditional plans.
- HealthyPet.com, a web site of the American Association of Animal Hospitals (AAHA), awards a Seal of Acceptance to pet insurance policies. The U.S. pet insurance companies having received this Seal include Trupanion and PurinaCare.
- TopConsumerReviews.com also rates and ranks six pet insurance providers. According to this review, the best pet insurance sources are Embrace, Trupanion, Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), Pet Assure, Pets Best, and Quick Care Pet Insurance.
- SmartPetInsurace.com also lists six of the best pet insurance providers. These include Embrace, Pets Best, Quick Care, VPI, Trupanion, and Pets First.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.