One of the most exciting things to do in winter is to build a snowman. It is a creative activity that both children and adults enjoy and a good way to spend quality time with your family.
If you are unfamiliar with the process you can follow these steps to build a snowman.
- Packing snow is needed for making a snowman. Test the snow to make sure it sticks together easily and makes good snowballs.
- Get a handful of snow and form a snowball. Add snow to it packing as you go until it is too large to handle. Put the large snowball in the snow and roll it away from you slowly and allow more snow to attach to it. Continue to pack the snow on the ball as you roll it. Continue to roll and pack until it is as large as you want it. This will be the snowman's base, so make sure you place it where you want it before continuing.
- Repeat step 2 to create the midsection and head for your snowman making sure the midsection is slightly smaller than the base and the head snowball is slightly smaller than the midsection.
- Stabilize your snowman by adding more snow between the snowballs and pack it nicely allowing your snowman to keep its form. Now you should have the snowman foundation complete.
- Snowmen need arms, so add some good sized tree sticks/branches to his/her upper midsection.
- It is now time to give your snowman a face. You can be as creative as you want for your snowman's face. You can use rocks, buttons, coal or any other dark and round-shaped items for the eyes. Carrots are traditionally used for the nose, but anything that is pointy can be used. The mouth can be formed by placing buttons in a smile pattern under the nose. You can also use a stick or other items to create the mouth the way you want it to look.
- Cover your snowman's head with some kind of old cap or hat. Make sure you use a hat you can secure to avoid the wind taking it away.
- The finishing touches can include legs, mittens over the stick arms, a scarf around the neck, sunglasses, or whatever other clothing or accessories you want your snowman to have.
You can find online videos and images to get more great ideas for building a snowman.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.