During pregnancy, sound sleep is of prime importance as the mother-to-be must get proper rest. If you are expecting, the anticipation of giving birth itself may cause sleepless nights. The following are some sleeping tips for pregnant women:
1. Follow a balanced diet and exercise program during pregnancy. Pregnancy sleep patterns differ during each trimester. You should try and get as much sleep as possible during all trimesters.
2. Sleeping on your side is one of the best sleeping tips for pregnant women. During the first trimester, the heart pumps more blood to nurture the fetus. With a growing stomach, it is difficult to lie in bed as one may wish. The most comfortable sleeping position may be to sleep on your side. Sleeping on your left side allows for maximum blood flow to the fetus, your uterus, and kidneys. In fact, most doctors advise sleeping in this "left lateral position" because it helps circulation.
3. Tuck pillows under your knees, your abdomen, and between your legs for additional comfort. This is a very useful sleeping tip for pregnant women. There are special pillows available to support the body during pregnancy. Lie on your side with your knees bent slightly upward to take pressure off your back.
4. Avoid drinking liquids and caffeinated drinks when it is close to bedtime so you can cut out visits to the bathroom. The rise in progesterone causes pregnant women to tire easily. In addition, nausea may make sleep a challenge.
5. One of the greatest sleeping tips for pregnant women is to catnap during the day. However, make it a habit to go to bed at the same time every night. Also, make your bedroom a peaceful place. Aromatherapy candles and soothing music will ensure good sleep during pregnancy.
6. By the second trimester, heartburn may cause disturbed sleep. A great sleeping tip for pregnant women during this time is to sleep in a position that keeps your head and neck elevated because this will keep the bile down.
7. Avoid changing positions during sleep.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.