Pantothenic acid or vitamin B5 is present in a huge range of food products including meats like liver, kidney, and chicken. Vegetables and whole grains also contain large amounts of this vitamin.
This essential vitamin is actively made inside the body by bacteria present in the small intestine. As a result, it’s very rare to find signs of vitamin B5 deficiency. Patients who demonstrate deficiency symptoms of Vitamin B5 are usually malnourished. Vitamin B5 oral treatment is an acceptable mode of therapy.
A few signs that indicate a significant deficiency of Vitamin B5 are:
1. The first signs of vitamin B5 deficiency are burning sensations in the hands and feet and numbness coupled with poor coordination.
2. This vitamin is extremely essential for acetylcholine synthesis which is required for muscle contractions and its deficiency can cause muscle cramps, numbness, and tingling sensations of muscles which make them very uncomfortable.
3. This vitamin also contributes to producing energy inside the body. As a result, common symptoms of vitamin B5 deficiency in the body are irritability, fatigue, tiredness, and apathy.
4. Intestinal symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, and water retention are also other deficiency related symptoms.
5. Vitamin B5 contributes to sugar metabolism, so its deficiency causes increased sensitivity of tissue cells to blood sugar levels. This causes a drop in blood sugar levels resulting in Hypoglycemia. Sleep disturbances, restlessness, and irritability are prime symptoms of a falling blood sugar level and indicate a deficiency of Vitamin B5.
Treatment for Vitamin B5 Deficiency:
Patients who are at risk of vitamin B5 deficiency include pregnant women, women who use oral contraceptive pills, smokers, alcoholics, and people who are under high levels of stress.
Oral Pantothenic acid treatment is the simplest way to treat signs of vitamin B5 deficiency. The vitamin is usually supplied in the form of calcium pantothenate which will break down to Pantothenic acid inside the body.
Increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet to decrease the likelihood of developing a vitamin B5 deficiency. If taking supplements, ensure that they are kept in a cool,dry place to make sure they are viable.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.