Endometriosis is a medical condition where the cells in the endometrial lining of the uterus or the endometrial cells start growing in other parts of the reproductive system like the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and even the bladder and the bowels. The symptoms of endometriosis cannot be specifically defined as the reproductive system of a woman is a very complex biological system.
Endometriosis systems may develop over a period of months to years and there is no specific way of determining this medical condition unless and until the signs and symptoms of endometriosis become more pronounced.
An interesting feature of this condition is that, although it affects nearly 20% of women across the globe, only a small percentage of women exhibit symptoms. In most cases, there are absolutely no symptoms present — the patients are asymptomatic.
The following are some of the top symptoms of endometriosis:
1) One of the earliest signs of endometriosis is extreme pain during intercourse.
2) Another sign of endometriosis is very painful bowel movements. Very often women think that this symptom has nothing to do with the endometrium and undergo medication to treat stomach disorders and intestinal problems while the real culprit continues inflicting pain and discomfort.
3) Some prominent signs and symptoms of endometriosis are back pain and pelvic pain. Bloating, constipation, intestinal obstruction, and bleeding of the rectum are more severe symptoms of endometriosis. These are the main bladder related symptoms that have been observed in a majority of women suffering from this condition. The only way to detect the condition is when a doctor carries out a pelvic examination which may be painful when the condition is present.
4) Other symptoms of endometriosis can be diarrhea, blood in the urine, extremely painful menstruation, and irregular periods characterized by heavy bleeding. Severe endometriosis symptoms include coughing blood, severe chest pain, and seizures when the endometrial cells are carried to other organs and other parts of the body like the lungs and the brain through the circulatory system.
5) Additional signs and symptoms of endometriosis may include certain types of infertility and difficulty conceiving. This disorder causes hormonal imbalance in most cases. Immediate and natural relief might only be possible after a woman reaches menopause.
Endometriosis may occur due to hormonal imbalances in the body. Excess production of the hormone estrogen is responsible for the condition. Pregnancy helps control symptoms of endometriosis.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.