If someone is suffering from a psychological disorder, their day to day activities and social relationships may be adversely affected. Schizoaffective disorder is a kind of mental disorder, the prevalence of which is on the rise. About 3 to 5% of the psychiatric admissions in the U.S. are sufferers of schizoaffective disorder.
Schizoaffective disorder is characterized by episodes of depression and mood elevation along with delusions, disorganized speech, and mood disturbances. Schizoaffective disorder medications are prescribed to manage this disease. Treatment for schizoaffective disorder includes antipsychotic medications, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety medications. Research is being conducted in an attempt to evolve new treatments for this disorder. It is important to note that schizoaffective disorder medications are only a part of the treatment, and are usually coupled with psychotherapy, and skill training.
The following are medications that may be helpful in the treatment of schizoaffective disorder:
· Desyrel (Trazadone) is one of the medications for schizoaffective disorder. It is essentially a serotonergic antidepressant drug. This medication increases the serotonin levels in the brain, which are linked to mental well-being.
· Serotonergic antidepressant drugs like Prozac (Fluoxitine) may be prescribed by a physician. Along with schizoaffective disorder treatment, these drugs may also be prescribed for obsessive compulsive disorder.
· Symbyax is a combination of fluoxitine and olanzapine (antipsychotic medications) manufactured by Eli Lily and Company. It is often prescribed for this disease, particularly for those suffering from schizoaffective bipolar disorder.
· Risperdal (Risperidone) is another atypical antipsychotic drug, frequently used to alleviate symptoms of schizoaffective disorder as well as schizoaffective bipolar disorder.
· Zyprexa (Olanzapine) is an atypical antipsychotic drug approved by the FDA.
· Invega (Paliperidone) is considered to be one of the best medications for the treatment of schizoaffective disorder because it helps restore the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain and reduces hallucinations and agitation.
·Anti-anxiety drugs like Ativan (Lorazepam) and Klonopin (Clonzepam) are considered for the treatment of schizoaffective disorder because most patients have underlying anxiety. These anti-anxiety drugs are helpful in managing agitation and anxiety.
The basic idea behind treatment is to combine medications and psychotherapy for optimum results. It is important to note that the drugs for schizoaffective disorder treatment are to be used very cautiously, as they may interfere with other medications taken by the patient.
Schizoaffective disorder medications are very potent drugs with a lot of contraindications, and precautions associated with them. These medications are to be taken only under proper medical supervision.
It is necessary to note that some severe cases of schizoaffective disorder may require hospitalization.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.