Rental cars can be very useful during travel. Their convenience makes them worth it to include the cost of a rental car in your travel budget. Here are a few tips on saving money on rental cars:
1. Insurance coverage: A good portion of the rental car price is the insurance coverage. If you already have car insurance, insurance coverage doesn't have to be purchased through the rental car company. Most car insurance covers rental cars as well.
2. Weekly or monthly rentals: Weekly and monthly car rentals can save you the most money. These deals are the best option if you intend to travel for about a week or month.
3. Rental car discounts: Another way to save on travel is to search for rental car discounts. Car rental companies offer discounts for their members or AAA members when using credit cards. These discounts help reduce the cost of your travel budget.
4. Booking in advance: If you are sure of the dates of travel, it is a good idea to book in advance to get cheap rental cars so you can save on travel costs. Companies ensure that they have at least a minimum number of bookings from customers in order for them to budget operational expenses and other company expenses. Therefore, advance booking always helps to get low-cost rental cars.
5. Look for coupons or discount offers: Before booking a car, look for coupons or discount offers. The rental car companies give coupons to be handed out to travelers when they book a trip with trip advisors or travel companies. There are several coupons that are posted online, some of
which are handed out to prior customers as well.
6. Avoid using prepaid gas: To save on travel, avoid prepaid gas. Car companies provide rental cars with gas filled; so, before dropping off the car, fill it with gas and then return the car. This is because the rental companies charge almost twice the cost of gas if purchased from them.
7. Compare prices: Enquire by phone or compare prices online to get the best rental car deals.
8. Check hotel rental cars: Some hotels offer rental car discounts. This can help save on travel. Check with the hotel desk or refer to their brochure.
9. Look for any hidden charges: Ensure that there are no hidden charges like out-of-state charges, equipment rental fees, airport surcharges and drop-off fees, mileage fees, additional driver fees or underage driver fees, etc.
10. Avoid airport rentals: To save on travel, avoid airport rentals. Airport rentals charge a premium for this facility.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.