Kings to Stay in Sacramento at Least One More Year

Monday, 02 May 2011 02:16 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

NEW YORK, May 2 (Reuters) - The Sacramento Kings will remain in the California capital for at least one more season after dropping plans to relocate to Anaheim, the NBA team confirmed on Monday.

The Maloof family, owners of the Kings, had been investigating a move to Orange County after its efforts to secure a new arena deal in Sacramento stalled.

"Out of respect to Kings fans and the regional business community, we have decided to remain in Sacramento for the 2011-12 season," said the Maloofs in a statement. "The fans' spirit and energy, specifically our season ticket holders, has been remarkable and we are truly thankful for their loyalty.

"We also are greatly appreciative of the support from our corporate sponsors as well as other local businesses that have come forward in recent weeks."

The reprieve gives Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who played 12 seasons in the NBA, a chance to drum up support for a new arena.

But if Johnson cannot deliver on a new arena then it is likely the Kings, who play in one of the NBA's oldest arenas, would still move to Anaheim and take up residence at the Honda Center.

Local billionaire Ronald Burkle, who is a co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, has said he wants to buy the team and keep them in Sacramento. However, the Maloofs have insisted they do not wish to sell.

"During this process, Mayor Johnson has strongly indicated to both the community and the NBA that he is capable of getting the support to build a state-of-the-art entertainment and sports facility that the Sacramento Region and the tremendous Kings fans so rightly deserve," added the Maloofs. "We look forward to seeing Mayor Johnson bring his vision to reality.

"However, if an arena plan cannot be finalised in a timely fashion, the NBAs relocation committee has assured Maloof Sports and Entertainment that it will support an application to move the franchise to another market starting in 2012-13."

(Writing by Steve Keating in Toronto, editing by Justin Palmer; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink

PLEASE NOTE: All information presented on Newsmax.com is for informational purposes only. It is not specific medical advice for any individual. All answers to reader questions are provided for informational purposes only. All information presented on our websites should not be construed as medical consultation or instruction. You should take no action solely on the basis of this publication’s contents. Readers are advised to consult a health professional about any issue regarding their health and well-being. While the information found on our websites is believed to be sensible and accurate based on the author’s best judgment, readers who fail to seek counsel from appropriate health professionals assume risk of any potential ill effects. The opinions expressed in Newsmaxhealth.com and Newsmax.com do not necessarily reflect those of Newsmax Media. Please note that this advice is generic and not specific to any individual. You should consult with your doctor before undertaking any medical or nutritional course of action.

Keeping you up to speed on Lifestyle, health, and money-saving tips
 
 
Get me on Fast Features
Keeping you up to speed on Lifestyle, health, and money-saving tips
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Top Stories

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved