Rosacea is a chronic skin condition, characterized by redness and outbreaks, quite similar to acne, also referred to as “Adult Acne.” Rosacea affects fair skinned women in the age group of 30 to 60 and may get quite embarrassing, if left untreated. The symptoms of rosacea usually flare up due to certain triggers like exercise, exposure to sun and dust, stress, increased intake of oily and spicy foods and temperature swings. A complete cure of rosacea might not be possible; hence the best bet for rosacea treatment is to keep the condition under control by avoiding the common triggers and adopting natural supplements for treatment.
Rosacea Natural Treatments
Listed below are a few of the most commonly recommended natural treatments for rosacea which help to reduce flare ups.
1. Chrysanthemum extracts – Creams and lotions containing the soothing chrysanthemum flower extracts have been shown to significantly reduce the appearance of blood vessels and reduce redness.
2.Green tea based creams- The moisturizing creams containing a blend of green tea extracts and aloe vera work to reduce skin inflammation and can be used as rosacea treatment under guidance.
3. Licorice- A recommended natural treatment for rosaecea. The topical application of this herb has shown improvement in people with mild and moderate symptoms. The anti-inflammatory properties of a chemical present in licorice called licochalcone help to reduce skin itchiness.
4. Niacinamide or vitamin B3 based moisturizer is considered an effective natural treatment for rosacea. The research conducted on niacinamide has shown its potency in improving the skin barrier and alleviating skin inflammation. These natural herbs and extracts are advised as add on treatments for rosacea with other oral and topical prescriptions.
5. Azelaic acid cream- Typically advised as a topical application cream for the treatment of rosacea, azelaic acid is found naturally in grains like wheat, rye, and barley. The anti-inflammatory attributes coupled with anti-microbial activity of azelaic acid helps to keep the skin clear and improve redness, itchiness, and dryness.
6. Other herbs such as chamomile, aloe, red clover, and rose hip oil form an integral part of skin care creams and help for rosacea treatment.
Avoid scrubbing the face harshly and using creams that are too oily or alcohol based. Limit intake of refined and processed foods which are rich in fats, spices, and preservatives. Eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly in a cool environment, and minimize stress to improve the overall quality of skin.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.