Psoriasis is known to be a hereditary condition. Because we cannot choose our genes, psoriasis cannot be completely prevented. However, the condition can be managed. Lifestyle and dietary changes can reduce the severity and frequency of psoriasis flare- ups. It should be noted that some products claiming to prevent psoriasis on the face or psoriasis of the scalp are not effective treatments for the condition.
However, triggers of psoriasis, such as environmental factors and stress, can be controlled to manage psoriasis.
Some simple tips to prevent psoriasis flare-ups are as follows:
1. Keep skin hydrated, avoid dry skin.
2. Manage/reduce stress and anxiety. Some methods include meditation, breathing exercises, listening to soft music, etc.
3. Avoid medications that may cause psoriasis. Always consult your health care provider before starting new medication. Beta blockers, used for treating high blood pressure, and lithium, used for treating depression, may trigger psoriasis.
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
5. Obesity has been found to be a risk factor for psoriasis. An ideal psoriasis diet including fresh fruits, vegetables, and low fat foods— free from refined sugars, artificial colors, and preservatives — may help prevent psoriasis outbreaks.
For more information on psoriasis, see below:
Eczema: Latest Medical Breakthroughs
Dermatitis: Latest Medical Breakthroughs
What Conditions Aloe Vera Helps
Conditions That Aloe Vera Helps
Health Benefits of Witch Hazel
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.