The best way to prevent gastroenteritis is to eliminate or correct the cause. Some common causes are related to personal hygiene and food contamination.
A highly contagious virus, known as rotavirus, is often responsible for viral gastroenteritis and can be prevented by proper vaccination.
Here are a few general guidelines to help cut down the chances of contracting infection or acquiring the stomach flu:
• Wash hands periodically, especially before and after eating foods and after any contact with an infected person.
• Avoid direct contact with things used by any infected persons, such as their bed, clothes, napkins, etc.
• Avoid eating raw or undercooked foods, especially when travelling to a foreign country.
• Do not drink untreated water and juices or unpasteurized milk.
• Thoroughly wash fresh produce in clean running water before consumption.
• Drink only bottled water or other packaged juices and drinks.
• Boost your immunity by eating a well-balanced diet.
• Keep the body well-hydrated, maintain basic rules of sanitation, and contact a doctor immediately if you experience even mild symptoms of stomach virus.
For more information on gastroenteritis, see below:
Best Solutions for an Upset Stomach
5 Reasons to Keep Witch Hazel Handy
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.