Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is an anxiety disorder, characterized by aversive anxiety-related experiences, behaviors, and physiological responses that develop after exposure to psychologically traumatic events. These events may involve rape, battle, threat of death, and other types of stress. The disorder causes disturbances to everyday functioning of the patient. It may be of various types — acute, chronic, or delayed onset. Natural supplements used to treat this condition are:
- Winter Cherry or Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): This herb is helpful in relieving stress disorders such as arthritis, hypertension, diabetes, and premature aging. It has anti-inflammatory effects and raises physiological well-being while preventing the effects of depression and stress. It defends the brain cells against stress and rebuilds the networks of the nervous system in the body.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): This herb is believed to be effective in raising the mental status of patients with depression. It helps raise the mental setup of a person and enhances better performance, skills, and brain capabilities. It improves intellect, consciousness, and mental activity. The herb also calms the mind and promotes relaxation.
- Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm): This herb is used for sleep problems, insomnia, nervousness, and stomach problems. The drug may produce drowsiness in some patients and, if the condition continues to persist with stomach problems and nervousness, the patients should seek immediate medical advice.
- Lavender: The plant is used as a carminative, anti-spasmodic, emmenagoguem, anti-depressant, rubefacient, and hypotensive. The plant contains aromatic oil which has the capability to refresh the skin tone and sooth the nerves. It is effective in treating depression and stress. The plant oil has an effect on the nervous system and improves sleep quality, promotes relaxation, and lifts the mood of patients suffering from sleep disorders.
- Passion flower (Passiflora incarnate): The aerial parts of the plant have been used historically as a sedative and hypnotic. Scientific evidence to support these claims is still lacking, but early reports suggest that the plant has benzodiazepine-like calming properties. Scientific evidence shows that it is helpful in treating congestive cardiac failure and as a sedative for agitation, anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.