Everyone knows that they should eat more fruit, but most people just add more apples, oranges or bananas into their diets, ignoring other fruits. One fruit that shouldn’t be ignored is pineapple. Here are the top 5 reasons that you should add this fruit to your diet:
- It contains an enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain has been shown to help reduce swelling, and is beneficial to people who have arthritis. It also helps your body heal faster from injury.
- It is packed full of vitamin C, containing over 100% of the RDA. It is also full of other nutrients like B6 and manganese.
- This fruit is the perfect diet food. It has a high water content, as well as a lot of dietary fiber. This helps you to feel fuller faster, and keeps you from feeling like you are starving yourself.
- You don't have to worry about pesticide contamination. Many people choose to buy organic fruits and vegetables to avoid chemical contamination, which runs up their grocery bill. The thick skin on pineapples blocks pesticides, which causes it to be less expensive.
- It is possible to buy pineapple fresh all year round. Some grocery stores offer cut fresh pineapple in a cooler section in the produce aisle, so you get the benefits from this fruit without having to cut one. You can also find them canned or in jars.
How to choose the perfect pineapple
When you are at the grocery store standing in the produce aisle trying to decide which pineapple you should buy, here are some tips to remember. It should have a nice, bright color and the leaves should be nice and green. If it has brown spots on the fruit itself or on the leaves, put it down and look at a different one.
Then, you should smell it. Smell the stem end, at the bottom. It should smell like a pineapple. If it doesn't smell sweet, you don't want that one. The last tip is how it feels. It should feel heavy for its size. When you push on it, the skin of the pineapple should give, just a little bit. You don't want one with soft spots, or that is too hard. With these tips, you can find the perfect pineapple to eat.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.