There are several varieties of pears and many reasons to eat them besides their delicious flavor. The nutritional value of pears offers many health benefits including protection from free radicals. Pears are also a great source of vitamins C, E, and the mineral copper.
Eye health is another reason to eat pears. Three or more servings of this tasty fruit will lower the risk of m
acular degeneration by about 36% as compared to eating less than 2 servings.
Pears are one of the first fruits introduced to infants because they are considered somewhat hypo-allergenic. They are less likely to create allergic reaction than other fruits.
Other benefits of eating pears are:
- Dietary fiber
- Low in calories
- Low fat content
- Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, D, and K
- Minerals like calcium, iron, chromium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc
- Vital amino acids such as arginine, lysine, and glycine
There are thousands of different varieties of pears, each with a different flavor which is another good reason to eat them. The most common varieties include:
- Anjou pears - Green or red varieties with a sweet taste
- Bosc pears - Goldenrod in color with a honey-sweet flavor
- Bartlett pears - Yellow or red varieties typically found in fruit salads
- Comice pears - Extremely sweet green, sometimes with reddish spot-colored areas
- Seckel pears - Smaller green-olive colored pear with an ultra-sweet flavor
Pears are great-tasting eaten raw, cooked, baked, in salads, pies, or even in casseroles. There are many ways to prepare pears with cheese, vegetables, meats, and nuts. They also make a great-tasting juice by themselves or with other fruits.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.