Sometimes referred to as caveman living, the Paleo plan nixes every sort of food and drink from your diet except for meat, fruit, vegetables, and water, reports Shape
The Paleo diet brings dieters back to their primal roots and puts the kibosh on all processed, unnatural, or high-fat foods that end up on your body as excess fat. Foods that are high in carbohydrates (even “healthy” ones) are also discouraged because carbs that the body does not use for energy are stored instead as fat.
The Paleo lifestyle is not for the weak-willed as its strict guidelines demand that dieters sacrifice many foods, but the diet can provide valuable health benefits, including the following, says Shape.com:
1. No processed foods: While many low-fat and low-carb diets can still technically be followed with the wide variety of “low-carb” and “low-fat” junk food on grocery store shelves, the Paleo diet calls exclusively for organic foods and beverages. A clean diet helps the body to function at its best and promotes the feeling of general well-being.
2. Reduces Bloat: The Paleo diet encourages increased intake of fiber and water and the avoidance of salt — the recipe for a flatter stomach.
3. Fruits and Vegetables: Getting the recommended daily serving of fruits and vegetables can be tough, but with the Paleo diet, it’s no problem. It may take more time and preparation to snack on fruits and veggies than on a treat from the vending machine, but organic foods contain essential vitamins and minerals that keep you feeling and looking good.
4. High in Healthy Fats: The Paleo diet is not fat-free — dieters are allowed foods like fish and nuts that are high in omega-3, the good type of fat. Omega-3 fatty acids perform a wide range of tasks, from fighting the signs of aging to improving brain function.
5. It’s Filling: While other diets may leave you feeling hungry soon after you’ve eaten, the Paleo diet is rich in fiber, which makes the body feel fuller longer. Feeling satisfied on a diet increases the chances that you will stick with it.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.