There are many causes of hearing loss. Taking the following precautionary measures can prevent hearing loss:
1. Avoid noises that are too loud, too close, and too long. Sensitive structures in our ears, called hair cells, can be damaged if exposed to excessively loud noise for a long period of time. If damaged, these cells cannot regenerate.
2. Wear earplugs to avoid noise pollution. The number of noise-induced hearing loss cases is high.
3. Never use cotton swabs, hairpins, or any other objects for cleaning the ear.
4. Always blow nostrils gently because the ear, nose, and throat are interconnected; the rapid passing of air through your nostrils can harm your auditory senses.
5. In case of a respiratory problem while in flight, use a nasal spray before landing.
6. Wear your seat belt in the car and a helmet on a bicycle to safeguard your ears and the auditory system in the event of an accident.
7. Protect yourself from harmful noises by using hearing protectors.
Prevention is better than a cure, even in the case of hearing loss.
For more information on hearing loss, see below:
Are you Suffering From Hearing Loss?
5 Myths About Hearing Loss
How a Hearing Aid Can Change Your Life
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.