Some people like to see the old year out with a bang. A New Year's Eve spent at home isn't their idea of fun. Most want to celebrate around other people, and do it in a big way having the quintessential holiday experience.
Here's a list of the 5 best places to spend New Years.
- Tokyo. This city gets into New Year's Eve in a big way. The celebration starts on December 29 and runs until January 4 making it one of the five best places to spend New Years. The Imperial Palace is open to the public on January 1. Tourists can also take part in traditions like ritual eating of soba noodles and the ringing of the night bell. Bells all over Japan ring 108 times to bring peace and happiness to the new year.
- Sydney. This city is the first place on earth to celebrate New Year's Eve, and they go all out. Part of what makes this one of the five best places to spend New Years is watching fireworks over Sydney Harbor. Fireworks bursting over the backdrop of the Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera House make it a fantastic sight. The best place to see the show is from one of the boats on the water.
- New York City. New York is often on the list of the five best places to spend New Years. This is because of the iconic ball drop in Times Square. Every year a million people crowd together to party into the brand new year. People start lining up as early as 3 p.m. on New Year's Eve. It's important to bundle up, because New York in the winter can be cold.
- Las Vegas. The nice thing about this perennial favorite is that you don't have to pick one city. With themed hotels for New York, Paris, and Venice, it's possible to sample them all.
- Key West. For the person who likes quirky and kitschy holiday celebrations, this is the place to be. Key West has three separate ball drops, including a conch shell.
For the person who wants a big party on December 31st, these are the five best places to spend New Years. All these cities know how to do it right, and throw parties to remember.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.