For over a century, the American Association of Museums (AAM) has worked along with museums in the U.S. to connect Americans with the world. Now, AAM is trying to transform the way American museums operate in an effort to entice, engage, and educate visitors.
Here is a list of five great museums in America:
1. Smithsonian Institution is one of the best museums not only in the U.S., but in the world. It is, in fact, not one, but an amalgamation of 19 museums, the national zoo, and nine research centers. Though largely located in Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution also has sites in Virginia, New York City, and Panama.The institution has a huge collection of more than 136 million items.
2. J. Paul Getty Museum, amongst the most visited museums in the USA, is completely devoted to art. It was the richest museum in the world in the 1980s. Located in two places in Los Angeles, this museum has a remarkable collection of art and artifacts ranging from medieval times to modern times. It holds the prized painting “Irises” by Vincent Van Gogh in a building that itself is a magnificent piece of architecture.
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, or the Met, is New York’s Louvre; it is one of the finest museums in the U.S. A landmark on the Museum Mile, flanking Central Park’s east side, the Met is amongst the largest art galleries in the world, with a collection of over two million art pieces.
4. Another landmark near New York’s Central Park is the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), one of the most celebrated museums in the U.S. that is devoted to natural history. A network of 25 buildings, the AMNH includes 46 halls, a library, and several research laboratories. The American Museum of Natural History exhibits only a fraction of its 32-million specimen collection. For over a century, the AMNH has supported field expeditions.
5. The National Gallery in Washington, D.C.houses avant-garde paintings and sculptures from Europe, and those of artists like Warhol, Pollock, and Picasso.
American Association of Museums represents nearly 3,000 museums, 15,000 professionals, and over 300 corporate members. Although AAM oversees the upgrading of museums in the U.S., the North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) program seeks to provide privileges to museum members. These members get discounts at museum shops and on entry when they visit the most recent attractions in the world.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.