Memorial Day means a day-long reprise from work and is a federal holiday that commemorates U.S. soldiers who died in service. The holiday, occurring on May 30th
, is a great way to relax and spend time with friends and family.
Here are five ways to celebrate Memorial Day on a budget:
1. Have a Barbeque- Save money by making it a pot-luck. If you’re hosting the event, have everyone agree to bring one dish and set up the lunch picnic style. All your guests can enjoy a variety of dishes while relaxing among friends.
2. Go to the Beach/Pool- This activity is generally free of charge and a great way to unwind with friends and family. Pack some drinks and sandwiches in a cooler and you’re ready to go!
3. Write a Letter to the Troops- What better way to show your gratitude for our armed forces than by writing them a letter showing your appreciation. This is a great activity for both adults and children and only costs the price of a stamp!
4. Have a Yard Sale- A yard sale is a great way to de-clutter before summer — not only is it free, you may make a few bucks. Involve family and friends to make the event a truly memorable occasion.
5. Check the Papers- Most cities host free events over Memorial Day weekend. Take a look at your local paper and scout out an event that everyone in your group will enjoy.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.