Every parent would like to make sure that they are raising a healthy and happy baby. Ensuring that your baby is happy is not just good parenting, research shows that your hugs, smiles, encouraging looks, sweet songs, and silly games, all serve your baby in very specific ways.
We all know that they give babies emotional support and lead to greater bonding, but these symbols of affection also shape their social learning and stress management skills. Babies reflect symbols of affection; so, a happy parent will definitely make a baby happy.
Here are five ways to make your baby happy:
1. Ensure that your baby is in a safe and protected environment. This means that his/her clothing and bedding should be appropriate to the climate of the place that you live in. This includes feeding him/her age-appropriate food of varying textures, tastes, and colors, bathing in time, and changing diapers as soon as they are soiled. This also means responding to distress signals immediately. Keeping your baby warm or cool depending on the ambient temperature will also ensure happiness.
2. Ensure that the baby has adequate space for movement and exercise. Babies learn about their environment by exploring and as soon as they can crawl they will be off at a pace that will really surprise you. Do not restrict early explorations. However, ensure that the space she/he has access to has no potential for accidents. You can also make sure your baby is getting enough exercise by gently moving their arms and legs, simulating flying or swimming movements, and singing appropriate songs to the movement. You can also dance with your baby.
3. Happy babies know that their mothers are always a cry away. Your presence makes them feel safe, protected, cherished, and loved. Even if you are a working parent, ensure that you spend quality time with your baby and that you are never short of hugs, kisses, and smiles.
4. Always make sure that you spend time talking to your baby.
5. Buy toys and books with care. Different sizes, colors, textures, and materials stimulate the baby’s mind and this in turn keeps the baby occupied and happy. When you put toys out of sight and introduce them after a while, the baby looks at them like they're new. This way, you don’t need to keep buying new toys. Babies also love to look at pictures and reading from large picture books will keep them occupied and happy.
Raising a happy baby ensures that the baby grows up to be a well-adjusted child. It is not difficult to keep a baby happy as long as you are willing to put in some time and effort.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.