Learning a second language (other than your mother tongue) is an invaluable skill that you can impart to your baby. The most important advantage that can be gained by giving your baby additional language lessons is that it may help the baby think in different ways and also help develop the child’s cognitive and social skills. Language lessons include a few interesting techniques including:
- Parents should be able to decide when the baby is ready for language training. Waiting until the age of two to three years is generally a good idea for the baby’s language development to proceed effectively. It is also the best time to introduce a second language to the baby.
- Parents should agree on an approach to conduct language training. Using the services of outsiders or teachers is probably the least successful approach. The best approach is for one or both parents to provide the language lessons.
- Baby language training is not about teaching in the conventional way. It’s all about learning through play and making the language interesting and interactive. Techniques such as reading storybooks, listening to tapes, singing songs, and conducting other activities are effective ways to impart a language.
- The most effective mode of conducting language training is to speak to the baby in the desired language. If your child indulges in baby language, it is a good idea to comprehend, translate, and speak out aloud.
- Sometimes, computer-based language training is real fun. Various online activities can make learning the language a great joy.
Many times parents fear the baby will get confused with the native language. This might be the case when both languages are similar. While giving your baby language lessons, it is a good idea to note that the level of expectation should be kept minimal to make learning a fun and effective process.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.