The game of golf is not easy. Anything that you can do to improve your swing will take strokes off your game. Learning the fundamentals of the golf swing are vital if you are going to become good and earn the single digit handicap that you have always wanted. Here are five basic tips on how to improve your golf swing:
1. Always start with a good grip and check it every time for consistency and comfort. Many golfers take it for granted when they step up to the ball that their grip is routine. Do not fall into that trap. Make sure you feel comfortable with your grip and that you take the same position with your hands every time. Stop to check it before you swing.
2. Learn to address the ball and take your stance according to the shot. Your stance and leg position should be different for every shot on the course. If you need a closed stance, an open stance, lean forward, short swing, or long swing, choose your stance and position carefully. The set up and your address are keys to making a good shot whether it be a drive, wedge, long iron, or even a putt.
3. Work to increase your club head speed. Speed provides you with distance and you will need plenty of distance for today's longer courses. There are drills you can use to increase your club head speed. Work with a professional to develop more speed and know your speed. Your professional can measure your club head speed for you.
4. Avoid the slice. Most golfers have a natural slice which you must correct. The slice is not your friend because it cuts down on distance and is difficult to control. Part of your set up should be to aim your shots to the right to work on using a draw.
5. Learn the basics of a good take away and back swing for better all around play. One important aspect of your game is to have a controlled back swing for all your shots. Take the club back slowly and develop a good back swing for accuracy.
All of these tips will help to improve your golf swing. You need to practice them everyday and do not take them for granted. Your efforts will pay dividends by making you a much improved golfer.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.