Leukemia symptoms include abnormal bleeding, malaise, and fatigue. Leukemia treatment involves bringing the WBC count to a normal level.
Here are different ways to treat leukemia:
- Chemotherapy is one of the best ways to treat chronic and acute leukemia. The treatment involves administering drugs to treat specific causes of cancer by preventing the growth of cancerous cells.
- Active immunotherapy: As a part of active immunotherapy, specific parts of the immune system are boosted in order to kill tumor cells.
- Bone marrow transplant: All the leukemia cells are killed and replaced by good and healthy cells. That is, the leukemia marrow is replaced with a healthy marrow. This treatment has helped leukemia patients survive over a long period.
- Platelet or blood transfusion is useful in case of both acute and chronic leukemia. Transfusion helps treat leukemia symptoms such as anaemia.
- Recurring infections are considered to be leukemia symptoms. In such a scenario, antibiotics are generally recommended to ensure that overproduction of WBCs can be prevented.
For more on leukemia, see below:
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.