Bipolar disorder is a complex disorder that is characterized by dramatic mood swings that can range from mild to extreme. Diet and bipolar disorder often go hand in hand and bipolar diets that are low in red meat and high in mood stabilizing factors like sodium and lithium are essential.
Although there is no specific treatment and diet for bipolar disorder, there are some foods that may be helpful in the treatment and diet for bipolar disorder. These choices may include:
- Dairy: yogurt and sour cream.
- Meat: dried fish, caviar, fermented sausages, non-fresh canned meat, game meat, liver, pickled herring, and salted fish
- Vegetables: Italian green beans, eggplant, sauerkraut, lentils, lima beans, snow peas, and soy beans
- Fish: Herring, Albacore tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel
- Fruit: bananas, fig, raisins, raspberries, and avocado
- Beverages: alcohol-free and reduced-alcohol beer and wine, ale, beer, coffee, and tea
- Food containing mood-stabilising elements: Sodium and Lithium
For more information about Bipolar Disorder, consult the following:
Bipolar Disorder: Top 10 Treatment Centers
Sleep Disorder Drug May Control Bipolar Depression
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.