Vitamin B1 (thiamine) is an important vitamin required by the human body. It can be found in meat, green leaves, and vegetables and is essential for the breakdown of fat and protein. It also keeps the mucous membranes healthy.
The top five health benefits of vitamin B1 are:
1. Energy production: Vitamin B1 is responsible for converting sugar into energy. The vitamin acts as a co-enzyme in oxidizing sugar to produce energy for the smooth functioning of the body organs, especially the heart, brain, lungs, and kidneys.
2. Cardiovascular functions: This vitamin is responsible for the production of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that relays messages to the muscles and nerves. A deficiency of vitamin B1 leads to a decrease in the neurotransmitter and causes irregular heartbeat. Severe deficiency can cause congestive heart failure.
3. Eye health benefits: Essential fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6 together with vitamin B1 help ensure eye health and prevent the formation of cataracts.
4. Improves brain function: It ensures smooth functioning of the brain and helps improve memory and concentration. Vitamin B1 helps relieve stress and also helps strengthen the nerves. The vitamin is used to reduce the progression of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, cirrhosis, and other infections.
5. Development of myelin sheaths: Myelin sheaths are the protective covering of the nerves. Deficiency of vitamin B1 results in weakening of the sheaths. Adequate intake of vitamin B1 ensures the development of myelin sheaths and aids nerve functioning.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.