Bad breath afflicts thousands, if not millions, of people every day. The worst part of having bad breath lies in the fact that the person may not even be aware of it. Often this will only be discovered when some kind soul calls you aside to tell you of the problem. There are many ways to tell if you are suffering from bad breath. Here are some you should try if you suspect you have halitosis.
- Open your mouth and look inside. A white covering on the tongue suggests your breath may not be fresh and minty. Red, swollen gums or gums that bleed can also signal a halitosis problem. When your gums are unhealthy they can harbor bacteria that leads to an unpleasant odor.
- Breathe into either of your hands or a small bag. Once this has been done, smell your hands or the bag. If an unpleasant odor is detected, your breath may be in need of help. This will only work with severe cases though.
- Another method of determining whether your breath smells bad is to stick your tongue out as far as physically possible. Now lick your wrist. Wait a few seconds and smell the area. If it smells bad, your breath does too.
- Purchase a device designed to test for halitosis odors. Breath in to the device and allow it to measure the strength of your breath. The range for this type of device is often no odor to strong odor.
- Ask a friend or family member to smell your breath. Make sure you ask someone who will be honest with you. Be sure to let them know you need a straight answer because you cannot fix a problem unless you are aware of it.
- Stop and think about which foods you have consumed. Certain foods always lead to bad breath. It is just their nature. If you have eaten a food that causes bad breath in others, it will do the same for you. When you consume one of these foods for lunch or dinner, follow up with a breath mint. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Bad breath may be an acute problem or a chronic one. If you determine that your condition is ongoing, make an appointment with a dentist. This may be a sign of a bigger problem. Dental health can affect your entire body so treatment will be essential.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.