Here are five tips that will help you get started with a yoga practice:
1. Familiarize yourself: Deciding that you want to get started on yoga is the first step in “yoga preparation.” Go through the basic yoga literature and familiarize yourself with simple yoga poses.
2. Find a guide/teacher: Local newspapers, health journals, alternative health journals, and online resources help you locate yoga teachers in your area.
3. Find out the requirements: Find out what you need to bring to class on the first day. Usually, yoga mats can be rented.
4. Typical yoga classroom: In the class, the yoga students usually place their mats facing the front of the room where their teacher sits to demonstrate the yoga poses. The class starts off with the chanting of “OM” and, maybe, a short meditation and breathing exercise.
5. Poses: The yoga teacher generally conducts the class by showing students warm-up exercises, followed by more strenuous poses, then some stretches, and finally relaxation. Yoga poses gradually make the body less rigid and more flexible.
Here are some Do's and Don'ts for yoga class:
1. Feel free to approach your teacher to discuss any issues you may be having with the class.
2. Follow classroom etiquette.
3. If you’re not sure how to do certain poses, observe others and follow them. You can also approach the teacher for a demonstration of the poses.
4. Practice yoga every day.
5. Interact with members of the yoga community.
1. Have a big meal before the class. A meal should be eaten a minimum of 4 hours before exercise.
2. Drink water while in the class or immediately before or after the yoga session.
3.Practice yoga wearing socks and shoes.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.