Gonorrhea is a common sexually transmitted infection caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Prompt treatment of gonorrhea is necessary. Otherwise, it may spread throughout the body, affecting the joints and even heart valves.
It may take up to 30 days for the symptoms of gonorrhea to appear in the infected persons. Women infected by gonorrhea may, initially, experience bleeding after sex or experience frequent and painful urination. Men infected with gonorrhea may experience pain while urinating or, in some cases, may urinate frequently or end up with swollen testicles.
Gonorrhea cannot spread through shared toilets and bathrooms. Several drugs are prescribed for gonorrhea. These drugs are used as soon as the symptoms of gonorrhea are detected. The following are the top five drugs used for the treatment of gonorrhea:
1. Ceftriaxone is part of a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. Ceftriaxone injection is used to treat certain infections such as gonorrhea caused by the bacteria.This gonorrhea antibiotic is a third generation cephalosporin antibiotic. Ceftriaxone provides sustained, high bactericidal levels in the blood. However, ceftriaxone must be injected and is a relatively expensive treatment for gonorrhea.
2. Azithromycin, one of the best-selling gonorrhea drugs (antibiotics) in the United States, is sold under the name zithromax. It is also sold under a variety of brand names and generic labels worldwide. Azithromycin is used to cure gonorrhea infection and is an effective treatment.
3. Azithromycin is used to treat or prevent certain bacterial infections. In recent years, the drug has primarily been used to prevent bacterial infections in infants and those with weak immune systems. Patients exhibiting gonorrhea symptoms are treated with this drug.
4. Sulphonamides are another group of drugs used for the treatment of gonorrhea. It is a group of compounds that contain the structure SO2NH2. Members of this group are known as sulfa drugs. They have been largely supplanted by more effective and less toxic antibiotics. Gonorrhea can be cured by sulphonamide drugs.
5. Ciprofloxacin is a second-generation fluoroquinolone antibacterial or gonorrhea drug. It is marketed worldwide under 300 brand names. Ciprofloxacin is one of the antibiotics used for curing gonorrhea.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.